Posted by: charityliz | November 8, 2012

hit it, girl!

I’ve been hearing a lot of people raving about Zumba for the past couple of years, but still never got around to trying one of the classes at my gym it until tonight. It was a completely spontaneous choice, with very little reason. And let me just say, this class does not disappoint!

Highlights:
* As soon as the music started I could not help but smile, and I’m pretty sure that goofy smile was plastered on my face 90% of the class. The other 10% of the time, I was concentrating too hard to smile, trying desperately to master those sassy moves, albeit looking like a completely uncoordinated dork the whole time; I’m sure of it!

* The woman leading the class was this sassy, young, upbeat, black woman with an endless whirl of smooth energy that flowed out of her body. I was absolutely mesmerized by her rhythm, precision, style and confident attitude. Basically, I’d kill for moves like hers! The more I looked at her, the more I pictured myself looking just as smooth (and then I’d glance at myself in the mirror and I’d have to face reality).

* The soundtrack was amazing– there was everything from hip hop to Top 40 to rumba and salsa, to slow R&B (cool-down song). After each song, I kept telling myself, "OK, time to go…you can barely do these moves, you’re covered in sweat, and you’ve done enough of the class to get a taste"…but then the next song would start to play and I was hooked in again.

and now for my favorite highlight….
* About halfway through the class the instructor moved from her station at the front of the class to the far right wall, where I had strategically tried to hide myself from being noticed. But now she was literally two feet from me, and before I knew it, she was shimmying backwards, shaking her hips and slapping her booty. And all at once, she looked straight at me, screaming, "Hit it girl! Hit it!" — so as to get me to slap my booty as well! I’m not sure if anyone has ever told me with such gusto to "hit it". I was too flustered to hit anything, and I’m sure I looked like a jaw-dropped 11-year old staring back at her, my feet cemented in place, with that goofy grin on my face as she glided past me. It was pretty funny.

Advertisements

Responses

  1. Oh, for a picture of that!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: